Code

Sunday, October 24, 2010

First Road Trip

I thought I was fully prepared.  I had packed adequate changes of clothes, diapers, baby gear and warm coats & gloves.  I even armed myself with their favorite snacks, some new toys and books and the travel DVD player.  I perfectly timed our departure time to coincide with the beginning of their nap time.  But apparently no amount of planning and no matter how much stuff you load in the car, no kids enjoy being strapped into a car seat for 5 straight hours.  This I learned on our trip over to Spokane this weekend to visit my brother-in-law at Gonzaga. 

Jack fell asleep, as planned, just a half hour after leaving:


Kate worked on her cool new puzzle book after Mommy craftily got the sun out of her face:


1 hour later, Jack is awake and not too happy.  Let the screaming begin:


Kate never does fall asleep, but instead shows us her fruit roll-up masquerade skills:

The driver is not amused!
 
 
Unfortunately Jack never fell back asleep and Kate didn't sleep at all.  Nothing went according to my grand plan.  Which further proves that I was blessed with children to challenge my "Type A" personality on a daily basis.


And I'm sure you are wondering how the drive back home went.  Well just start at the top of this post and read it again and you'll get the general idea.


When are we taking our next road trip?  When Jack turns 18.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I love to see other people miserable in the car. :) Jack reminds me so much of Charlotte. I keep trying to tell myself that it will get better. :) -Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I am laughing my ass off reading your post!! Not because I truly think it is funny, but because I truly understand your pain!! And, dad's are never happy on road trips unless there is COMPLETE and utter silence, which is NEVER going to happen! Hang in there mama! In due time, just like childbirth, you will somehow forget the pain, and try the road trip again!!

    ReplyDelete