Code

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Disney on Ice

I spent all of last week in Orlando attending a conference for work.  I felt very guilty enjoying the Magic Kingdom, Downtown Disney and Epcot Center without my kids - Kate especially.    So I was excited that the Disney on Ice "Celebrations" show just happened to be coming to town the Saturday after I returned.  We dropped off Jack at Grandma & Poppa Larsen's house so that we could have a special day with Kate.  She got dressed up in her new Minnie Mouse outfit I had brought back from my trip along with a new stuffed Minnie to match.


   
After spending a small fortune on popcorn, a snow cone and a cool light-up toy, we were ready for the show to begin! 


As the lights went down, the music began to play and characters started coming out on the ice, I could tell she was a bit overwhelmed by it all.  But I was confident that she would warm up to it.  The first scene featured Mickey and the Gang along with some of the Alice and Wonderland characters having an un-birthday party.  So far so good.

 
Then came the Fantasia scene.  Once the dancing brooms came out I saw her eyes start to widen.  She was clearly not enjoying this as much as I thought she would.


Then came the Halloween scene with all of the Disney villians and her face is, appropriately, now as white as ghost.  This is not going well.  I was relieved when the Halloween scene ended and we were ready to move on to Valentine's Day.  Bring on the princesses!  We finally got a smile out of her by the time Cinderella made her way out on to the ice.  I thought we were in the clear.


Once the princesses cleared the ice, the lights went on and they announced that it was time for a brief intermission and then the rest of the show would resume.  Kate quickly gathered up her things and announced that she was going home.  We tried to convince her otherwise for a good 15 minutes.  But unfortunately there was no way that she was sticking around for any more Disney on Ice!

Lesson learned - your children may not always be as excited about something as you are.  Oh well, I enjoyed the first half of the show.  Maybe Jack will go with me next year so I can see what we missed in the second half!

1 comment:

  1. oh man. i would have thought she'd be all over the princesses. maybe next time, it should just be a mom adventure ;)

    cute minnie outfit, though!

    can't wait to see pics of the partay - happy early birthday to katydid.

    ReplyDelete